- Christian Learning: Bible (ESV) Foundations in Personal Finance: Middle School Edition, World Religions, Christian Faith.
- Language Arts: Novel studies (reading), Shurley Method (English)
- Math: Discovery Education Math Techbooks
- Science: Discovery Education Science Techbooks (Chemistry and Physics)
- Social Studies: Discovery Education Techbooks (Civil War to Present)
- Electives: Students chose electives each quarter from three categories: S.T.E.A.M., wellness and life skills, and arts and humanities
- Enrichment: Students select one global language: Spanish, German, French with mentor, ASL, participate three times a week in physical education classes, and conduct a major research project
- Fine Arts: Opportunities include band (optional), choir, music, and show choir-style instruction offered weekly and participation in a theater production (Grades 5-8).
- Technology: Technology is incorporated throughout the day to enhance lessons through interactive whiteboards, document cameras, classroom iPads and student-owned Chromebooks
Christ. Quality. Community.
Grade Level Goals
Christ: Learn Bible stories, world religions and basic building blocks of faith in Christ. Understand a biblical worldview. Explain what it means to have a relationship with Jesus Christ and develop an understanding of how to live a Christ-centered life. Memorize Scripture and have an opportunity to openly discuss their personal faith. Participate in daily prayer, Family Peer Groups, and a weekly chapel.
Quality: Practice and improve on study skills, organizational skills, and learn to be a good citizen while learning to be a responsible learner. Master algebraic basics, presentation skills, creative and expository writing, critical thinking skills, basic language skills, and increase reading comprehension while focusing on the elements of literature.
Community: Work together to develop Christ-centered relationships with each other, teachers, and families. Participate in ways to give back to the community of Gilbert and throughout the world through mission opportunities like Operation Christmas Child and food drives for a community food bank. Participate with classmates in Hearts and Hands in Motion community service projects. Engage in an individual capstone project to plan a community service project.
Students are given a Google Chromebook to utilize for instruction and homework. Each student has a school-given e-mail account through Google and is taught how to use Google Apps for Education, including using the Google Drive to write papers, create presentations, utilize spreadsheets, and create surveys and forms.
From the moment the students are given the Chromebooks, technology care and online safety is a priority. The Chromebooks are run through Christ’s Greenfield’s privacy filters and WatchGuard protectors to be monitored on a consistent basis. Responsibility and good digital citizenship are key components in the technology curriculum at the middle school level.
- Athletics: Flag football, soccer, volleyball, basketball, softball, track and cross country.
- Clubs: Bible Bee, Chess Club, FIRST LEGO League (robotics), Geography Bee, Ovation, Running Club, Spelling Bee and Student Council
Various field trips are taken each year which tie into curriculum and/or develop an appreciation for the arts. Trips taken in past years include children’s theater performances, Gilbert Public Library, and the Phoenix Art Museum. The culminating eighth-grade class trip is a week-long trip to Washington D.C. and the nearby area.